This week I am starting a new series on simple vegetable sides. In this series I’ve got some simple vegetable based side dishes, which are easy to put together and can be served alongside some meat and carby components (if you wish) to make a delicious meal.
I’m a big believer that a delicious vegetable side can make the simplest of barbequed or grilled meats into something that is not only filling and nutritious but full of flavour.
This side of steamed broccolini with almonds would make a great side for some fish, chicken or even red meat.
I used extra virgin avocado oil in this recipe as I’d run out of extra virgin olive oil. By all means, use olive oil but as you aren’t cooking the oil at all, use something high quality like what you would use in a salad dressing.
You can cook the broccolini in your preferred way like microwaving or a quick simmer in some water. I prefer steaming though. Whichever way you cook it, don’t overcook it. You want the steam to still have some bite and for the colour to be bright green.
The dressing just needs a quick whisk with a fork to emulsify.
Toss through the almond flakes for some crunch and there you have it. A delicious and quick veggie side.
Steamed Broccolini with Almonds
Ingredients – Serves 2 as a side
- 1 bunch of broccolini, about 115g worth
- 1/3 tsp of lemon juice
- ½ tbs of almond flakes
- 1 tsp of extra virgin avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Steam the broccolini until it is a vibrant green and cooked, but with some crunch still left in the stems. This should take about 2 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and oil with a fork until it is emulsified.
- Toss the steamed broccolini through the lemon dressing as soon as it is finished steaming. Toss through the flaked almonds and season with salt and pepper.
- Delicious served with fish and chicken.